Friday, June 29, 2012

Little Big Town

Hello friends, it's been awhile.

This summer I've been working, traveling to the boonies, making things from Pinterest and generally trying to improve my life. I'm supposed to be on vacation this week but I've spent most of my time in and out of doctor's offices. I've been having pain in my upper left abdomen that two doctors suspected to be kidney-stone related. After a CT and KUB, the phantom malady did not present itself. If it doesn't go away after my kidney stone surgery on 7/9 then I'll have to go back to my regular doctor.

Scott took these pictures while we were trying to figure out why my camera won't focus. It turns out I have an internal auto focus issue and have to send it out for repair. I love my Canon so much... I just want him to get better.

In other news, I made my own chana masala from scratch on a bed of basmati rice. It wasn't too bad for a first try. I would've liked it to be a bit more...liquidy...which is strange, since I'm usually more about dry foods. However, I was missing a few ingredients that I tried three different grocery stores for with no success. Indian food is just the bomb. Why you no have it grocery store?

This was the first picture I took with my new Samsung camera. I sort of got it as a replacement since my Canon is out of commission and because I wanted to get a smaller camera to carry around for impromptu photo shoots. I'm sure most people with dSLRs can relate to not wanting to tote around a huge camera all the time. 

Oh! And it was taken in the car en route to my first family reunion of the summer. The three-hour trip wasn't much at all because we stopped a few times at rest stops and gas stations and made a lot of jokes about body parts and such.

Family reunions are always interesting. There were a bunch of tables out with old pictures from my mom's side of the family. It's weird to look into their faces and realize I wouldn't have been born if they hadn't.

Here I am with my faithful camera man, Scott. At one point, he had three cameras, trying to take pictures for my family. I was really happy he was there to help alleviate some of the awkwardness of meeting some of my family for the first time ever and some for the first time in about fifteen years.

Hipster.

The reunion happened to be on the same day as my grandpa's birthday. I made the little poster up top and got him the coat of arms for his surname (and my mom's maiden name). He seemed to be in good spirits even though he didn't really recognize anybody. 

My grandma has the prettiest hydrangeas outside her house. I couldn't resist. Blue are my favorite...but purple are a close second.

And last but not least... we had to get a picture of Scott in front of a local landmark...BIG JOHN. All we could think of was the local commercials for 'Little John' who runs a pawn shop in Louisville close to Churchill Downs. He makes the most ridiculous commercials and we kept singing them only to replace 'little' with 'big.' 

We're goiiinnn to Biiiig John's today!

P.S. Don't ever stay at a hotel in Harrisburg, Illinois. You WILL be frightened of bed bugs and you WILL be told to exit the pool at 9PM sharp. And an Indian man will serenade you at breakfast with his cell phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment