Saturday, July 17, 2010

Live and Learn

I feel like this past month and a half has been a learning experience. For so long I was cruising through life on auto-pilot that it took me awhile to realize that God was laughing at me when I talked on and on about my "plans."


Here's what I continue to learn:


1. Family and friends are the most important things a girl can have: It's so easy to forget about those who care about you most when you're in a relationship. And once it's all over you come crawling back in hopes that they still love you. And the surprising thing is... they do! So, if family and friends have all this unconditional love for us, isn't it only fair that we return the favor? 


2. Boys will be boys... and sometimes they will be men: My last relationship was a completely monogamous one (surprise, I know) because I was so happy and um, because I believe in monogamy when it comes to relationships. I never even looked at another guy in that certain lustful manner or paid attention to those sneaky innuendos and sidelong glances. I have learned and continue to learn that I love that nervous feeling between two people that spark. 


3. I am happy to be liberal again: Although I believed myself to be under the influence of love, I was never ready to even fathom being married in my early 20's. I feel like there are certain groups of people out there that glorify marriage at a young age and will sometimes settle for people that they "can live with" instead of who they love. I also believe there are some early 20-somethings that are truly in love -- so more power to you. Personally, I am so relieved to experience life while I am young. There are so many places I want to travel while unattached and things I want to do before I settle down. I realize I have my whole life ahead of me to have a family if that is what I so decide to do. But for now, I am focused on earning a doctorate and taking my time with life.


4. I love yoga. 


The lyrics to a Cardigans' song "Live and Learn" inspired this post:


"Well you get what you give, and hell yes I lived..."

No comments:

Post a Comment