Friday, September 3, 2010

The Evolution of People

It's interesting to watch how people evolve. One day they say your eyes sparkle when you look at them. The next day they won't even look you in the face. Someone can go from calling you baby to inwardly thinking of you as other words that start with a B. Some days I feel like my perceptions of people are skewed because I am covered in a prejudiced film that predisposes them to judgment. It's like those Claritin commericials in which people are unable to truly see the world until the film has been lifted. Some people go from greeting the world with a smile to walking around beneath a perpetual rain cloud infused with big, fat droplets of cynicism. Others can be wide-eyed optimists turned cold and hard because of lies people tell to better their image. Can you guess which one I am?

I can be wrong but when I know I'm right I'll fight to the death to defend myself. I may say some things I don't mean in an intense frustration but I am always apologetic for them. Some people just aren't very nice. I may not always be very nice but the difference in me is that I want to be. 

I'm not entirely convinced Darwin was correct in his theories. Members of a species are supposed to adapt, you know, survival of the fittest and all that. But it seems like in our society we cater to idiots, figuratively speaking. Women repeatedly enter into emotionally unsatisfying relationships because they are catering to the idea that being with any man is better than being alone. When a guy tells a lie to get somewhere dishonorable with a girl, it becomes more and more difficult to discern who is sincere and who is not. 

Perhaps I am strident; perhaps that's what pushes people away. But maybe, this is my own way of eliminating the weak, a selective process that pushes people away that need to be thusly expelled. It's been slim pickings lately finding any male who can handle a female that has the audacity to have an opinion. But alas, I have a fool-proof plan that allows me to have the best of both worlds: a marriage to academia. A bachelor's degree will never use me for physical gratification. A Ph.D won't leave me running to a pint of Ben & Jerry's for comfort. A career will not have me complaining about how terrible life is although the decision to remain stagnant was a personal choice. 

Instead of wandering aimlessly down a dark, dreary path I "naturally select" a higher road. And I hope that one day I will be commended rather than criticized. 

No comments:

Post a Comment