Friday, August 12, 2011

The U.S. Credit Rating and My Obsession with Vintage

"When are you going to write a new blog post?" my boyfriend Scott asked me the other day.

That made me smile. To know that there are people out there that actually read this thing. The way I've abandoned it in favor of inward contemplation has been a source of bittersweet feelings. Sometimes it's nice to just have thoughts to yourself. But other times you just want to bear your soul to the world. And you want to catalog your time here on Earth; have something to look back on when you can barely remember what it was like to be 21.

"I don't know what to write about," I said.
"Write about the debt crisis."
"You know, I think I could make that work. And I could put a personal spin on it."

Here goes: The day I found out the U.S. credit rating was lowered, my heart sank in sadness. Although I think the current administration has certainly had its ups and downs, I've always been a supporter of Obama, especially his plans to mandate more fuel-efficient cars. I couldn't help but feel frustrated. How could this happen? America used to be the economy that other countries used to look up to for guidance, assistance, and example. Where has this money gone? Into the pockets of Congress members who are exempt from budget cuts, 401K dips, and our uncertain economic future.

I guess I wouldn't be so frustrated if every single American citizen were affected by this loss. If the president, Congress, HoR, etc. had to worry about their retirement money, their children's future college tuition, and IRA funds then I feel like a lot more would be getting done to solve our monetary issues. It would directly affect them, their families. It's easy for someone to say, "We don't need to fall back on our debt; it's not a big deal that the credit rating has been lowered; it's still high compared to other countries" when their piggy banks haven't been shattered in an effort to scrounge together a few coins to pay the bills. When did it become okay to compare ourselves to other countries? Sure, we're fine compared to Zimbabwe but why don't we hold ourselves responsible?

When it comes to sin, eternity, afterlife and all that heavy stuff I used to look to other people and think, "Well, at least I don't do that." It took awhile for me to look solely at myself and become my only earthly judge. It doesn't matter if I'm not doing something someone else does, because I have my own downfalls that a lot of people can't see. And just because they can't see doesn't mean it's not there. It's hard sometimes to hold ourselves accountable but in the end, we are the only people who can live our lives.

That being said, I want to jazz this site up. I want to have fun with it like I used to. I've been obsessed with a blog called What I Wore by Jessica Quirk and it makes me want to include a bit of what she does into my own blog. She's taken a photo of the outfit she wore everyday since 2007. Now, it's not quite logical for me to take a picture every day because let's be honest, I'm wearing sweatpants, a tank top, and day's old hair today. But I really think it would be special to include some outfits I'm proud of, outfits to celebrate special occasions, that way I'll be able to look back on the day and see how I looked.

I've been getting into thrifting a lot lately and I even went to a peddler's mall with my boyfriend (what a guy!). On that trip I found a brown leather Coach belt for $4.99, a pair of white vintage gloves from the 1950's (that the sales lady called 'dainty...' "I bet you have the perfect dress picked out already. You're so pretty!" she said), and an antique black beaded purse. I also found a black lace dress for 75% off at Plato's closet on Tuesday and yesterday's trek to Goodwill yielded me with a green, purple, and blue tie-dye shirt, a velvet burgundy blazer, a vintage-looking scarf (looks like it's from the 80's but there are no tags), a skinny black belt, and THE BEST FIND EVER: a blue jean Ralph Lauren dress. I have to have it altered because it's ankle-length and above-the-knee is more my style. Otherwise, the fit is perfect, it's lightweight, the perfect color and all I've ever dreamed of in my hunt for the perfect blue jean dress. And it was only $5!!!

Perhaps I'll post some pictures of my finds soon. For now, stay tuned and thanks to your avid support!

No comments:

Post a Comment